Imaging Science Freshman Project

The Freshman Imaging Project was a course I took as an elective. It is the equivalent of a freshman seminar for the Imaging Science major at RIT, and as such, only freshman are allowed in the class. I joined in winter quarter because there was a deficit of people in the class (at that point just Imaging Science majors) who knew programming. The course was essentially student-run, where the professor simply introduced the start goal and provided limited guidance from there on out. However, this was the first time the course was run this way, and we were also required to present quarterly to university and college level administration on our findings and development.

The course aims to have freshman imaging students design and create a imaging tool on the cutting edge of current research and present it at RIT’s innovation festival, Imagine RIT. Our assignment was to create a Polynomial Texture Mapping device. PTMs, as they’re called for brevity, were created by a team in Hewlett Packard’s labs. The best way to learn more about PTMs is to go to their website:  http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/ptm/. For summary, PTMs are a bunch of pictures taken from the same spot with varied angles of light that are stitched together by software, which estimates what the light values would be between the actual angle and creates an interactive picture where you can drag the light source around.

The picture above is our dome device that we completely designed and built on our own. By the end of the project, there were around 15 people in the class from varying majors and disciplines, ranging from Imaging Science majors to Mechanical Engineering majors.

This picture is of the Software team. I’m the one in the green hat. While originally our assignment was to replicate the effects of HP’s software, it turned out that automation of the lights and camera required greater attention. We programmed the light sequence in LabVIEW 10, an interesting programming environment with a graphical programming language called G. We also created a macro so that using HP’s research software would be much more usable.

The project wiki can be found here: http://ife2010.wikispaces.com/.

Here is a link to more photos of the project: https://picasaweb.google.com/109853773495727828205

Advertisements